Sunday 24 December 2017

Ebenezer Scrooge


Twitter@author_king












Charles Dickens is one of those great writers that deserve their spot on the plinth of historic fame, and an inspiration to fellow modern day authors like myself. I am now writing the manuscript to Revenge, the third book in my Daniel Jones series of stories and I will have much more to write before I can get anywhere near to him, but I do have one grumble! His wonderful story The Christmas Carol with its brilliant feature character Ebenezer Scrooge. Over Christmas, I watched the film of the 1970’s musical adaptation of Christmas Carol. It tugs at your heartstrings and does make you want to splash the cash over the festive period. And this is my one gripe with Mr. Dickens. The second Monday of January is supposed to be one of the most depressing days of the year as the bills starting arrival and for too many households the Christmas festivities will have cost thousands of pounds paid for with credit and debt, and this I blame on Scrooge.


Now people could say it was the three wise men bringing their gifts of Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh and yes this was the start of giving presents, but as I watched the final scenes of the film, after Scrooge had seen the light and was dancing down the street with a cast of hundreds, spending as if money had gone out of fashion, it’s very hard not to get caught up in all the hype, especially when you have children.


I try not to get caught up in any type of hype, or the latest craze, but what I do find myself getting caught up in is the holiday attitude. Yes, the attitude that lets you sit on the sofa at nine-thirty on a Monday night and you get the urge for some Dry Roasted Nuts. Normally this would pass, but you have that festive attitude that says, “bugger it, it’s Christmas, let’s have some nuts.” After a packet of them and then some salted nuts to follow I wish I had been a bit more Scrooge-like, and settled for a cup of herbal tea instead.


Never mind, I've always got the New Year to look forward too and my yearly resolution to lose weight and get fitter, but until then I will keep on enjoying the Christmas Spirit, and the nuts, and I hope you too will have an enjoyable time where ever you are in the world; whatever your faith, or lack off, and that you have a prosperous year in 2018.

Regards

Mark









        

No comments:

Post a Comment