Friday 13 March 2015

The first chapter

Postings every week

Links to books
Email markkingtheauthor@gmail.com
@author_king







Time is short when you have a young family. They seem to suck every spare minute of your time. They are like Hoovers that are constantly on, rushing about. You have to plan every day at least a week in advance and the calender will have dates booked on it throughout the year. It can seem as if you never have time to do what you truly want to do. Since the release of my second book Daniel Jones Doom I have been mulling over in my head the lay out of the third book in the Daniel Jones series. I have been itching to to have a go, and every week when I find space in my busy life I have been determined to start it. But like I say there is always a but in life; something would suddenly pop up out of the blue and those precious hours would suddenly disappear. 

This week though I did it! I started on the first chapter. On Thursday after my I had finished my volunteer shift at Norwich Cathedral I walked up to the Forum; Norwich's central library, sat my back-side down in one of the reading booths with my laptop, and started to write. I didn't think I would make it at first because I felt tired until I was inspired by a piece of sculpture by the artist Maria Pacheco that was on show in the cathedral. My picture below doesn't do it justice and it shows I'm a better author than I am a photographer. 






Each figure is larger than life and hand carved from single pieces of wood; including the central figure of a son carrying his father which is based on Greek myth. The figures are haunting, almost creepy, but you find yourself walking around the exhibit admiring the craftsmanship. I have never seen anything like it before. All hand carved. The fine details were just stunning.

After this I had no choice but to write. There was no going home to put my feet up and enjoy a couple of quite peaceful hours to myself without the noise of family life. When I started FRENZY a Daniel Jones Story I used to visit the library once a week to get me out of the house and into a different environment, and this routine I carried on with when I wrote Daniel Jones DOOM. So there was no better place to start the first chapter of Revenge. This is the initial title I have given the book because I haven't made my mind up let on the final title. It could be Daniel Jones REVENGE, or even REVENGE on Daniel Jones, or maybe Daniel Jones and the REVENGE of the Overseers. I will just see how the manuscript pans out, and next week you will get the chance to read some, or maybe all, of the first chapter here on my weekly blog at Always-hanging-around.

Regards

Mark  

No comments:

Post a Comment