Friday 24 August 2012

The Volunteer

At the end of July 2011 I was still suffering in great pain because of the bulge in spine and seemed to be making no progress. Other than filling myself up with pain killers and alcohol (with the two mixed together I almost felt normal) I knew I had to keep active, or I would seize up completely. I would then have only two choices, go under the knife or spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.
I had been sitting down for up to twelve hours a day tapping furiously at the keyboard and only moving when I needed refreshments, or the toilet. Some days the stiffness and pain was too much to handle. I honestly thought I would be a cripple for the rest of my life.
The weather was nice and even though I love it when I can write, the sun was calling me to go outside, to take a break, and to do something different.
It was then I knew I needed, for at least two days weeks, to take some form of a break and work at something other than writing.
I didn’t want to go back into paid employment because in my mind I had a job, I was a writer (although I hadn't made a penny). No I wanted to volunteer for unpaid work and that’s what I did.
By the end of the week I had volunteered to help two different Charities for part of Thursday and on Fridays as well.
I have never let experienced writers block and hope never too. I think having these two different experiences during the week helps to keep my mind fresh.
I would recommend any writer to have other interests not related to writing so as to help the mind experience different states that it needs to absorb new ideas.

Because at the end of the day all writing is just someones experiences re-shaped, and retold in a different voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment