Friday 5 July 2013

And then there were none.

markkingtheauthor@gmail.com
www.the-frenzy.com
www.bookguild.co.uk
twitter@author_king
FRENZY by Mark King
ISBN 9781846248771












In the days B.C (before children) me and wife had three cars, her car, my company vehicle and a two seat M.G soft-top. When our daughter came along simple maths dictates that three won't go into two so my little silver beauty had to go. When I resigned from my last job to start on my new writing path I lost that as well so the family was down to one car.

We have a Peugeot 407SE bought brand new and it has only 50,000 miles on the clock with a full service history so you would have thought it would be a reliable car, but you couldn't be further from the truth. Even when it was under warranty we had it back on various occasions to the dealerships garage for repairs. Once the three years were up then so was our safety net so it started to full apart on a grand scale. The car has been virtually rebuilt. and we could still spend more money on it than it is now worth. The latest problem at the end of last week cost £500 to repair. For three days we had no car, we had gone from a three car family to none at all.

I will never buy a Peugeot again unless their build quality improves, and so their customers trust, because if they don't then they will go the same way as the makers of out previous car before this, Rover!

Now it's o.k if you live in a big city like London or New York, or Munich with its wonderful public transport system and a car isn't required to get from A to B, but in a rural city like Norwich you come to believe that you can't live unless you have a car. But and as I say there is always a but, this new repair bill was the final straw that broke the camels back. I was prepared to scrap the Peugeot and live life without the four wheeled beast.

The wife went crazy demanding the use of a car but I wanted to give it go without it, and as the car would be in the garage for three days this was the perfect opportunity to give car free living ago. One day the children went to school by bike and the next on their scooters as I hurriedly followed up from the rear. I walked every where or caught the bus, and with bikes I found there was no hindrance to my life style, in fact just like the camping weekend I found the pace of life slowing to the point I enjoyed it.

I even lost a couple of pounds in weight that week without having to make any change to my eating or drinking routine.

The wife on the other hand was not happy, and when the garage phoned her to say it was ready she shot there in an instant with out any further discussions. I suppose there are just some things a lady can't live without?

Regards

Mark.


No comments:

Post a Comment