Friday 26 April 2013

The Verger

markkingtheauthor@gmail.com
www.bookguild.co.uk
twitter@author_king
FRENZY by Mark King
ISBN 9781846248771


I have a saying, 'I will try anything once and if I like it I will try it again, and if I don't then I won't.'

For regular followers of  always-hanging-around.blogspot.com you will know that when I resigned from my day job I decided to carry out voluntary work on a couple of days during the week. I still needed human contact outside of my family and friends, and so I was asked by Fr Barry to join the local P.C.C committee where my business experience could be of use. The committee had a long standing project to build a new disabled toilet block with baby changing facilities, and kitchenette for the parish church www.thorpestandrewchurch.org.uk . It had been on the drawing board for some years, but was going to cost £95,000, and tens of thousands of pounds were still needed to pay for it.

The long and short of the story is that eighteen months after I joined the money was raised (donations are still welcome) the toilets and kitchenette built, and are now in use after being blessed by the Bishop. It was a great effect by everyone involved.

During this time I got to know Fr Barry after he became aware of my situation about me leaving my job, and risking it all to become a published author. He also knew that money was tight in the King household over this period so approached me with a suggestion that would help in a small way.

The church Verger was in his eighties and could no longer complete his duties. Being a Verger entails looking after proceedings during weddings and funerals. Getting everything set up, helping to make things run smoothly, and clearing up afterwards. The other thing about a Verger is that you are paid by the bride and groom plus the undertakers for doing this. It's not much but every little bit helps.

Like I said,'I will try anything once and if I like it I will do it again, and if I don't then I won't.' This is a great saying to use when you are unsure or need a little nudge into trying something new. And this was something totally new and alien to me. The best way to describe what a difference this was is to use 2Pac the rapper (Tupac Shakur) as an example. He has pushed life to the limit, and like me has smelt the fear of near-death on too many occasions. Tupac Shakur the Verger? You never know!

So I gave it a go. And what was the outcome? Well tomorrow I will be the verger at my third wedding and I have a funeral on Monday.

I wonder If I became as successful an author as say J.K.Rowlings if I would keep up with these duties, but I must admit there is a small piece of satisfaction to be gained from serving others than just by serving your own needs.

Regards

Mark king.



No comments:

Post a Comment